Career progression at King Charles I School
Career development is a priority for us. We always aim to provide ambitious staff access to support, training and mentoring to ensure that they flourish when undertaking new challenges. Opportunities to work on whole-school priorities and gain the experience required to progress into middle or senior leadership is always available and we also offer financial assistance for relevant post graduate study and support for middle leaders wishing to apply to become Specialist Leaders of Education. We recognise that teachers who progress either within or move onto to promoted positions in other schools are a sign of our success as a school.
Below you can read about the career progression from some of the many teachers who have been promoted within King Charles I School:
- Having completed my teacher training at King Charles I School I was happy to accept a position at the school the following year. Over my four years of teaching I have been lucky to have been at a school which prioritises professional development and have been given plenty of opportunities to contribute both inside and outside my department. At the start of my third year I was offered the position of Head of House and a year later I have been given further responsibility within the pastoral team. King Charles offers a clear pathway to take on more responsibility and progress into leadership positions and senior staff offer excellent support and advice to teachers looking to make the next step.
Jon, Head of house and Pastoral Curriculum Coordinator
- During my teacher training placement at King Charles I School I was offered a permanent teaching position in the mathematics department. The school has always been supportive especially during my training and NQT year. Since then I have been willing to assist in other aspects of the school, stretching my ability and developing new skills and as a teacher. I can take these valuable skills forward into my new position as Pastoral Curriculum Coordinator, I am excited for the new challenges ahead.
Laura, Pastoral Curriculum Coordinator
- I have been at King Charles I School for 16 years and have been provided with several opportunities for career progression throughout. Progressing from a teacher of physical education to an assistant headteacher has been amazing journey. I have developed significantly as both a teacher and leader and life hasn’t stood still one bit.
James, Assistant head teacher
- After completing my PGCE in the summer of 2007, I began my career as a teacher of mathematics at King Charles I school. I was fortunate to work in a department and school where I could take initiative and develop as a practitioner in key stages 3 to 5. I transitioned from a classroom teacher to second in department by undertaking responsibility with key stage 3. The school supported my development by funding my NPQML qualification, which has helped me develop as a leader, and soon after completion of the NPQML, I became the head of mathematics. I am fortunate to work in a school where professional development is important and I look forward to continuing to develop as a leader within the school.
Richard, Head of maths
- King Charles I School provided me with the opportunity to re-train as a teacher, having formerly practised as a solicitor. Having come from a background of professional practice over a number of years, I was keen to progress quickly into a role that maximised my potential and KC1 has delivered- allowing me to grow into roles as quickly as I have developed as a practitioner. I became a Teaching and Learning Leader shortly into my NQT year and was promoted to KS4 Maths Co-ordinator within the first 18 months. In the following year, just over a year and a half after commencing my NQT year, I was promoted to deputy head of maths.
Kim, Deputy head of maths
- I joined King Charles I School in September 2006 as a Cover Supervisor with the intention of fulfilling my long term goal of becoming an English teacher. Whilst studying a degree with the Open University in my own time, I was very lucky to experience various job roles in school including Head of House. Upon completion of my degree, I found myself in the fortunate position of securing a teacher training position at King Charles I School. Working alongside such a diverse range of people with a wealth of knowledge, experience and insight enthused me to progress even further in my career and I relished the opportunity to become Head of English in September 2016. I consider myself to be very fortunate to work in such a supportive school with professional development at its core. I was promoted to Assistant head teacher in September 2019 and look forward to the new challenges that I will face in this position.
Katie, Assistant headteacher & Head of English
- I have been at King Charles I School for three years and within this time I have had the opportunity to progress in my career whilst continually developing my skills as a teacher. Within my training year placement at the school I was offered a permanent position of an English Teacher; during my NQT year I was then appointed as Deputy Head of English. Both of these roles have significantly increased my knowledge of the subject and how to successfully run and motivate a growing department. Not only have I gained knowledge into the management side but I have also had the opportunity to progress in other areas such as teaching and learning which is of great interest to me.
Hayley, deputy Head of English