We are determined to do whatever we can to stay open to staff and students despite any adverse weather conditions or issues with water or power.
We will endeavour to have done the following by 7.00am on any day we have to close the school:
- Notified the local radio stations (especially BBC Hereford and Worcester and Free Radio Herefordshire and Worcestershire).
- Sent a text message to all the mobile phone numbers of parents/carers with parental responsibility we currently have on our database. Could I ask that you keep us informed of any changes to your mobile phone number so that we can update our database and so keep you better informed.
- Placed a message on the website (http://www.kingcharlesschool.co.uk/)-eg
- Open for all students
- Open but late start (and instructions will follow)
- Closed to all students except for those sitting external examinations.
Parents/carers can also find out more information by logging onto the County Council Website (www.worcestershire.gov.uk) or calling the Worcestershire Hub on 01905 765765.
The decision to close the school, unless directed by the local authority, is always made in the morning. However, if there is any additional information that I feel would be helpful to share with parents/carers I will update the website at the earliest opportunity.
We will do all we can to stay open. However, if for health and safety reasons we have to close during the day and send the students home before 3.20pm we will not allow students in Years 7 to 11 to leave without confirming with a family member that they can do so. We are planning to do the following if we have to close during the course of the school day:
- Notify the local radio stations (especially BBC Hereford and Worcester and Free Radio Herefordshire and Worcestershire).
- Sent a text message to all the mobile phone numbers of parents/carers with parental responsibility we currently have on our database.
- Place a message on the website and our twitter feed.
- Ask any students who have mobile phones to contact their parents/carers. A member of staff will briefly speak to the parents/carers and check that the student can leave the school and make their own way home. We will contact the parents/carers of any students who do not have mobile phones. We believe this process will take approximately an hour. Students will be dismissed one class at a time once all the phone calls have been made.
- Any students who are unable to make their own way home may remain in school where they will be supervised until they can be collected.
I would suggest all parents/carers nominate a place of safety, which may be your home, to which your son/daughter can go if we have to close.
We hope you appreciate that any decision to close the school is never made lightly. The safety of students, parents/carers and teachers will always remain the priority when making decisions.