Our Offer for Middle Leaders
At King Charles I school we recognise that middle leaders play a critical role in our schools. Middle leaders are the engine of a school ensuring the school’s vision is turned into reality and that policies translate into practice. They provide a vital bridge between our senior leaders and our teaching staﬀ, acting as both a filter and buﬀer. We could not imagine a successful school without effective middle leaders. It is our belief that successful middle leaders do not happen by accident nor is there such thing as a natural leader. Middle leaders become successful through continued support, targeted CPD and by working within an organisation that works hard to identify and remove barriers and red tape from leadership and teaching. We understand that teachers who progress either within our school or move onto promoted positions in other schools are a sign of our success as a school. Here are some of the ways, already established, recently introduced or planned, which makes King Charles I School an excellent place to be a middle leader.
- Full induction prior to starting as a middle leader.
- Access to recognised training and leadership courses such as the National Professional Qualifications in Leadership and other accredited courses with travel expenses covered.
- Designated middle leader buddy to make sure you always have a sounding board and someone to discuss and share ideas and solutions with.
- Designated experienced line manager with fortnightly line management meetings.
- Guidance on ongoing leadership support, such as what research to read, who to follow on Twitter and which professional bodies to join.
- Opportunities to visit other schools to identify and discuss best practice.
- Opportunities to attend and/or organise area networking meetings to enable the sharing of best practice.
- Regular middle leaders’ meetings which include reading and discussion of educational research and discussion about the application of research in our school.
- Opportunities to shadow senior leaders and support with long-term career planning.
- Opportunities for promotion. We are always looking for different ways and opportunities to promote colleagues within our schools.
- Opportunities to work with middle leaders at other schools within the MAT.
Time to lead
- A reduced teaching load.
- Ongoing review of systems to improve efficiency.
- Departmental away days during the summer term to help you plan and prepare for the following year.
Safeguarding your time
- No time wasted on routine admin tasks. Departments such as reprographics, finance and data are all on hand to support teachers as well as additional help in organising school trips.
- Weekly admin support for middle leaders.
- Access to data analysis programmes that ensure quick and easy analysis of data.
- Ongoing review of systems to ensure that systems meet the needs of all involved.
- Discussion with your designated line manager about your ‘to do’ list and how to prioritise tasks.
- No performance related pay on the main and upper pay ranges.
For further information please see the following sections on our website: