New to teaching? Support for NQTs and RQTs
At King Charles I School we understand that the first few years of teaching can be tough and so we have created a bespoke programme of CPD and support for our newly qualified teachers. We are committed to providing you with the best quality support and guidance. All our NQTs benefit from the following:
- A paid programme of CPD during the summer term prior to starting;
- A reduced teaching load;
- A dedicated subject mentor;
- A dedicated professional mentor;
- Weekly meetings with your subject mentor;
- Half termly meetings with your professional mentor:
- Regular no-stakes lesson observations focussed on on-going feedback helping you to continuously develop;
- Opportunity to meet and work alongside RQT and other recently qualified teachers; and
- Access to the Haybridge Teaching School Alliance NQT programme including training sessions designed to support and promote professional development throughout your transition from ITT to NQT.
Our support does not end when you complete your NQT year. We recognise that the journey to experienced teacher has only just begun and from year 2 onwards we offer all teachers a personalised programme of support designed to meet the needs of the individual teacher.
Below is what our current NQTs think about working at the school and our support:
- I learnt more in the first half term at King Charles I School than I did during my whole training year. As a new teacher I feel fully supported in every aspect of my job. The school offers fantastic teaching and learning opportunities and everyone works together in order to continually improve and be the best we can.
Rachael, Science NQT
- Working at King Charles as an NQT has been a fantastic experience. The support from the senior leadership team and fellow colleagues is superb. The students at KC1 are some of the most responsive and willing to learn I have come across. It's a pleasure to work at the school.
Greg, PE/Maths NQT
- The support I have received as a NQT has been exceptional. The English department really try to help me with understanding the behaviour policy and the curriculum. We work together to create lesson plans and also tried to minimise our workload for marking. My mentor also listens to my concerns and fully supports me in my work as a new teacher. I really cannot thank King Charles I School enough for providing such a supportive, warm and caring environment.
Joanna, English NQT
- The start of my NQT year at King Charles I School has been fantastic. I feel fully supported by my mentor, my department and the NQT supervisor through regular meetings, training sessions or simple informal chats, but equally I know I can call upon any member of staff if needed. Despite the split site, there is a great team spirit which is very welcoming to new members of staff. Great emphasis is placed on consistency and sharing good practice which helps improve my own teaching skills. And most importantly for teachers and pupils alike, behaviour is excellent and I know the leadership team will wholly support my decisions on behaviour in the classroom.
Kim, MFL NQT
- Working at King Charles I School has enabled me to promote a learning environment in its purest form. We all train primarily to teach and this school facilitates exactly that. I work in a community that thrives solely on getting the basics right; the teaching and the learning.
Lily, PE RQT